The Bike Station (Recycle to Cycle & Recycle to Cycle Trading Ltd.)
Job Title: Cycle Trainer & Group Ride Leader
Reports To: Communities Manager
Hours: Part time fixed term contract to 31 March 2024 ( 14 - 21 hours per week),
Salary: £20,000 per annum pro rata
Women and Black, Asian, and Minority Ethnic individuals are especially encouraged to
Purpose for Role
The Bike Station is looking for an enthusiastic and skilled cycle trainer and group ride leader
to help deliver Shifting Gears, our flagship community cycling programme. Shifting Gears
works in partnership with community based organisations to reduce inequalities in active
travel and support communities hardest hit by Covid.
This role will be responsible for developing and delivering cycling lessons and guided rides as
part of the annual programme of activities within the Shifting Gears programme. As part of
the Shifting Gears team you will be helping identify ways to reduce barriers to access for
participants and adapt delivery where needed based on partner and participant feedback.
You will work closely with the Perth Community Outreach Officer, Community Mechanic,
current Cycle Trainer Ride Leader and Communities Manager.
The role also includes providing support with other Bike Station activities including customer
service/retail, bike stripping/refurbishment and general duties to prepare the space for
● Plan and run cycling lessons and group rides for Shifting Gears participants, this
involves route and activity planning, recce-ing and risk assessment.
● Co-develop and run pre-ride route planning sessions with community members
● Run indoor activities for participants when adverse weather conditions prevent
● Complete pre- and post-ride administration including scheduling activities, booking
participants, recording attendance, uploading photos from activities, tracking and
recording expenses from rides etc.
● Proactively contact participants regularly to arrange lessons and rides, this might
mean phoning, texting, emailing etc. and respond dynamically to cancellations.
● Assist with promotion of Shifting Gears activities via Whatsapp, at events et; this,
may include design of communication materials
● Assist in the collection of evaluation data for Shifting Gears programme
● Support coordinating cycle ride assistants
● Ensure lessons and group rides meet programme objectives and funding
● Provide a safe and welcoming environment for participants interacting with The Bike
Station, in addition to ensuring their health and safety in accordance with legislation,
and government guidelines.
● Follow the organisation’s procedures and standards including health and safety and
equal opportunities, in relation to staff, volunteers and clients.
● Assist with shop floor activities (serving customers, preparing space for activities,
tasks required to keep warehouse in order, bike stripping/refurbishment)
● Competent cyclist with experience cycling in various situations, including in traffic,
and ideally also off-road
● Significant experience designing and delivering sports or other outdoor activities in a
community setting, including managing different experience and confidence levels.
Ideally this will be cycling activities including group rides and cycle training.
● Experience of working with clients from diverse backgrounds
● Experience of conducting, writing, and working in accordance with risk assessments
● Knowledge of offering information, advice and guidance to young people and adults
from diverse backgrounds.
● Experience of working on own initiative, organising and prioritising work
● Effective use of ICT including familiarity with standard Google suite and Microsoft
● Ability to carry out basic trailside repairs (fixing punctures etc.)
Essential Skills & Qualifications
● Ability to plan, write, deliver and evaluate cycling workshops and group rides
● Effective and sensitive communication with a wide range of people, including
excellent oral and written communication
● Ability to teach skills and work with individuals to understand and help them achieve
their cycling ambitions
● Ability to work independently and within a team
● Ability to work flexibly
● Excellent organisational skills
● Strong alignment with and ability to champion The Bike Station values
● Ability to work flexibly & adapt to changing community needs
Desirable Skills & Qualifications
● Cycle Trainer qualification
● Cycle Ride Leader qualification
● First Aid Certified
● Experience of bike maintenance/refurbishing
● Experience of coaching an outdoor activity
● Experience of working in community development role/projects
● Experience of co-creating activities using participant input
● Driving licence
● Cargo bike experience
To apply for this role, please send a CV and covering letter to: email@example.com
Deadline for Applications: 12:00pm, 3 December 2023